Saturday, September 25, 2010

This is me...

I should probably write a bit of a bio on myself so if anyone bothers to read this blog they can at least know a bit about the woman behind it...so here goes:

I'm in my mid 30's, have a husband and a couple of children and the complete catastrophe of a household that that entails, which is pretty much on the go all the time. And somewhere in there I also find time to attend to work and extended family and social committments.

I do work, I work fulltime (well, as best I can juggling school hours). I'm fortunate, however, in that I'm self employed, so I have tremendous flexibility. Honestly, I don't know how women do it raising a family and working fulltime proper! Hats off to them as I couldn't cope.

So, amongst all that, now I have this blog too, which I'm really excited about.

I was raised in what some would call a Regional city in NSW and moved to the big smoke all by my lonesome when I was 17. What interesting times they were; young and naive and in a completely different city, totally broke. I was earning $180 a week on a traineeship and paying $100 of that in rent each week for a shitty little unit.


My childhood was less than ordinary. I suffered physical abuse quite regularly and was kicked out of home numerous times. I distinctly remember that fork in the road when I was 15. I looked at my mother (who was now seperated from my father), 30something, broke, working part time and destined to see out her days on a measly government pension. My choices were to either continue on the path I was on and end up like her, or make something of myself and rise above the adversity that I was experiencing.

I chose the latter.

I've been self employed in various sectors of the property industry since I was 22 years old. I've built an empire, lost the empire and am in the process of rebuilding the empire again, albeit with much more wisdom.

Not that I wasn't wise when I lost my empire (which was only very recently). I lost it only because I wasn't in control; I was at the behest of my financiers and in the end I was merely a puppet in someone else's show. I trusted in my financiers; "we want to help you grow; we're your partners in business; if you do 'this' we'll do 'that'" they would say, and I had no choice but to believe them. In the end they shafted me good and proper.

But, I've recovered; stronger, smarter and more determined than ever.

I've always had a bit of a dislike for banks. When I started my first business when I was 22, by the time I was 23 I wanted to expand it as it was going fantastically well. I approached my bank for a loan to expand the business and they refused to help.

Then they had the audacity to call me for a satisfaction survey. My exact words, and I still remember them today, were "go and get f****d. The day I don't need to rely on the likes of you will be my happiest day ever!" Needless to say, I gave them the shittiest satisfaction rating I could give.

My current aspirations include honing my writing abilities, raising my family, rebuilding my empire and potentially entering the political arena or corporate business arena.

When I say rebuilding my empire, I don't want to be the next Harry Triggaboff or Frank Lowy; I just want to be completely comfortable with a home completely paid off and at least $200k per annum in passive income. That is substantially more than enough.

I just don't want to have to worry about the bills that come in and stress about how I'm going to pay for them. I want to buy nice clothes and not even look at the price tag, and I want the power of choice! Essentially, that is what money brings. It doesn't bring happiness, it doesn't bring health or relationships - it brings choice!

I read a quote in the BRW once and it went "money doesn't buy happiness, it only alleviates misery". Having had money before, I think it's quite true.

I've dabbled in corporate business life, and I didn't like it at the time, but I'm wondering if maturity on my part may see me enjoying it now that I'm older. I just don't like the whole 9 - 5 routine (or 8 - 6 these days) and I enjoy the flexibility of self-employment.

Anything else you want to know?

No comments:

Post a Comment