Tuesday, September 7, 2010

I thought I'd give a plug to this outfit...www.kiva.org

For those who haven't heard of Kiva, it's a micro-loan manager.

Essentially, you make micro-loans in the amount of $25USD to burgeoning businesses in less fortunate parts of the world. I personally have lent to people in Peru, Honduras, Vietnam, Bolivia and others that slip my mind at the moment.

How it works: if there is an entrepreneur who requires a $100 loan to buy stock for his stall, Kiva and their field partners will raise those funds from 4 separate individuals in $25USD blocks.

The loans are repaid generally over 12 months or a little more, however, they are interest free loans.

The best charity one can give is to help people help themselves. I just wish I knew of a similar program for Australian entrepreneurs out there giving it a go.

No comments:

Post a Comment