Monday, October 11, 2010

A Proud Mummy Post...

I had the most wonderful experience over the weekend with my son.

He's 6 years old and for the last 2 years he's been riding a bike with training wheels on. We've tried taking the training wheels off once before, and it wasn't very successful, so we just left one training wheel on so he could learn his sense of balance.

It worked a little, but he was still reliant upon it.

Anyway, on Sunday morning after breakfast I told Hub that we were taking the kids for a bike ride and if it's the last thing I do that day, S would ride on his own.

So, off we went.

S rode a while with the one training wheel on whilst we were instructing him on balance. You know, it's not something one can really instruct in, so off the trainer came.

With Hub holding his seat, off he went! Then, without S knowing, Hub let go of the seat and he was riding on this own.

What a proud moment (for S and for me).

And when S discovered that he'd done it on his own he started jumping up and down "I did it, Mum, I did it"!!

My heart was bursting for him.

We continued riding some more, and with each fall S was gaining more and more confidence. We told him not to get upset when he fell, because each fall meant that he was getting better and better at riding. It was just beautiful to watch.

When S had had enough we rode home. When we got home Hub stood S on a retaining wall so they were eye level and Hub gave him some beautiful words of encouragment.

All of a sudden S burst into tears! OMG, I thought....

"What's wrong"? I asked...

And little S said "Nothing. I'm just so happy. I couldn't believe that I could ride a bike, and now I can".

Bless his little heart and soul!!

2 comments:

  1. Such a wonderful moment to treasure. I find as A GRANNY, that I treasure these moments much more than when I was a working mom. Well done, both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great that you are spending such quality time with your son - I am only able to do this as a grandparent - and appreciating every precious moment.

    ReplyDelete