Sunday, October 31, 2010

Dream a little dream...

For as long as I can remember, I've rarely remembered my dreams; and those that I have remembered have often turned into reality.

But last night I had the most bizzare dream that it woke me up instantly:

I was in this giant shopping centre, and with me were my daughter (but I never saw her face in the dream...I just "knew" it was her), my son, my sister, her husband. 

We were all walking on the top level of the shopping centre and my Brother In Law was playing with my daughter G as they were walking.  At the top level there were only a few shops and there was this architectural art structure that spanned the void in the middle of floor.  The void went right from the top floor down to the bottom floor.

Anyway, this architectural art consisted of a ladder type structure sitting in a channel stretching from one side of the void to the other.  There were rails but they were splayed...what I mean is that where I was standing on one side of the shopping level they were quite a distance away from the edges of this ladder structure, and they moved inwards so that by the time you were at the other side of the floor they were relatively close to the ladder structure.  They were there for effect only and not for safety, so they couldn't be relied upon for safety.

Anyway, people were actually able to walk across this ladder structure to get to the other side instead of walking around the whole floor of the shopping centre.

My sister was walking in front of us all and she walked around the floor to the other side of the structure.  My Brother In Law decided to walk across the structure.  As he was playing with my daughter, she followed him, and they both started bunny-hopping across the structure to get to the other side. 

I stayed on my side of the structure with my son behind me, just watching my BIL and daughter till they finished their little crossing.

BIL made it to the other side but he didn't completely get off the structure - he still had one leg on it and the other on the solid ground for the shopping centre floor.  He turned around to watch say something to my sister whilst my daughter was making the last of her bunny-hops across. 

On her last hop, her foot missed the channel and got stuck between the ladder/channel and the railing that I mentioned earlier.

She stood up and turned her head down to see where her foot was and she turned a bit far and toppled over into the space between the ladder and the rail and fell.  She got wedged in that space.

Now, this shopping centre was 5 levels high!

I screamed and started running around the floor to try and grab her before she became unwedged and fell completely, but I didn't make it in time, and she slipped through and started free-falling to the bottom.

She landed on the very bottom floor, hitting the ground stomach first, like a little rag doll.  I shuddered at the thud and immediate thought, Oh My God, she's dead"...before I even got to her.

I don't know how I managed to get down to the ground floor so quickly, but in a blink I was there by her side.

And as I kneeled down to look at her I realised that during her fall she had morphed from being MY daughter into being my Sister's daughter.

I looked around and screamed for my son and he was gone, never to be seen again.


And then I woke up.


It was so weird.  I'd love to know what it all means, so if anyone knows how to interpret dreams please drop me a comment.

1 comment:

  1. No idea how to interpret dreams. I always dream that I am lost somewhere, have mislaid all my travel documents etc. I always wake up in a sweat.! I have insomnia anyway, - so often I participate in my dreams and appear to actually write the story while its happening. Bizarre. They say we should write down our dreams - I haven't yet but it would be an interesting exercise.

    ReplyDelete