Thursday, January 29, 2015

Love, and other drugs...

That's the name of the movie I watched on TV the other night.

It was about a young man who fell in love with a young woman who had been diagnosed with early onset Parkinson's disease.  

Aside from the Parkinson's curve ball, it was a typical movie with one partner wanting the other partner more than the other, and then the resisting partner eventually falling for the pursuing partner.

Quite some time into the movie the young man came across an older man who'd been looking after his wife who had stage 4 Parkinson's disease.  Naturally the young man asked the older man for some advice.

The older man's advice went something along the lines of "pack your bags and run....save yourself and your own life.  It gets a whole lot worse and is not a fun experience".

And this started me thinking about what I would do if I were faced with the same situation; ie: I was young (I assume the characters in the movie were 30 or less) and I discovered that my new found boyfriend, who loves me, who understands me, and with whom I've fallen in love, was diagnosed with early stages of a degenerative disease.

Would love be enough of a factor for me to stay and commit myself to a life that will ultimately result in me caring for this person, and have this person ultimately rely upon me for everything?


The answer?


I honestly don't know if I could ever love someone that much that I would sacrifice my whole life like that for them....


Selfish? Yes.

Wrong? I don't know.

Honest? Yes.

I feel like a cow, but it is what it is.


Till next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment