Thursday, May 10, 2012

Customer service really does not exist anymore...

This morning I went to my local supermarket and fruit market to top up on some supplies.

I went to the fruit market first and paid for my purchase using my debit card. 

I then went to the supermarket next door and went to pay for my purchase using the exact same card that I used not 2 minutes earlier and it wouldn't work.

The woman behind the counter tried my card several times all the while saying that there must be a problem with my card because they're new machines in the store.

Well, not to make a big deal out of things, I told her I'd run to the ATM just a few doors down and be back, which I did.

So, when I went back to pay for my purchase with cash I told her what happened to me just 2 weeks ago.

I said "you know, it can't be my card that's the problem.  It must be your new systems that are the probelm.  I shopped at your supermarket in a different location 2 weeks ago.  I purchased $400 worth of groceries and my card wouldn't work in your other store either". 

And the lady looked at me and shrugged her shoulders.

She shrugged her shoulders!

Oh my goodness.

I said to her "Is that all you can do, just shrug your shoulders.  Don't stand there and act like what I've just said doesn't matter, because it does matter.  There's clearly a problem with your new systems and I'm telling you about it".

Surprised at my comment she asked "What do you want me to do, tell my manager"?

To which I said "well, yes!  Not right now, but when you have a quiet moment you should be saying to your manager 'I had a customer today and she told me this, this and this', that's what you should do".

And I handed her my money and walked out.

I just couldn't believe the attitude...she just didn't care.

How does business survive when they have front line staff with such high degree of non-care?

All I can do is shake my head in sadness for the bosses of these businesses.  I feel sorry for them.


Till next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment