Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Look out, pedestrians about...

Pedestrian crossings were invented to enable pedestrians to cross a road safely in the absence of traffic lights.

When I was a child I was taught that pedestrians have right of way.  I was also taught, however, that when approaching a pedestrian crossing, I'm to stop at the crossing and WAIT for the oncoming cars to stop before I enter the crossing (assuming there are cars, of course).

A pedestrian's right of way does not give them the right to just walk across a pedestrian crossing and just expect that a car will stop for them.  In alot of instances I've observed - especially in the Inner West of Sydney - they don't even look around them to see if there are any cars approaching....they simply walk across the crossing with their heads looking straight ahead, and expect people in cars to slam on their brakes and just stop for them.

Who the hell do they think they are???

Yes, use pedestrian crossings, but use them properly!


Till next time....


No comments:

Post a Comment